+44 (0) 7031 8488
+44 (0) 20 7382 1568
Karen has a wide range of experience representing corporate and private clients in High Court litigation and International Arbitration. Her expertise spans across company and business law, intellectual property, bankruptcy and insolvency, insurance, banking and finance, commercial real estate, international trade, white collar crime as well as tortious cases.
Prior to joining Zhong Lun, Karen obtained her bachelor’s degree from École Hôtelière de Lausanne. She then went on to study for a master’s degree in international relations in the Geneva School of Diplomacy and completed a second master’s in development studies at the London School of Economics and Political Science. Karen eventually embarked on a law career and completed her GDL and LPC/LLM in the University of Law (London).
Karen is fluent in both Chinese Mandarin and English. She also achieved B2 level French.
Karen has a plethora of experience in both public and private sectors. Before joining Zhong Lun where she completed her training contract, Karen worked for several notable UN organisations including the UNHCR, UNCATD and UNPRI as well as non-governmental organisations. After obtaining her legal qualification, Karen is now developing her practice in international commercial arbitration, bankruptcy and insolvency, and corporate law.
Qualified Solicitor in England and Wales
GDL, LPC/LLM The University of Law （London)
MSc., London School of Economics and Political Science
MA., Geneva School of Diplomacy
BSc., École Hôtelière de Lausanne
Karen specialises in handling complex commercial disputes and arbitration proceedings, showcasing expertise in both English Courts and international forums. Renowned for her diligence and attention to detail, she is particularly adept at navigating intricate matters with acute commercial sense. Some of Karen's recent cases include:
• Representation of the borrower in an LCIA arbitration initiated by the five largest Chinese banks. The dispute arises from a syndicate facility agreement involving a loan amount of £188 million.
• Representation of an international corporation in an ICC arbitration related to Development Agreements for a major real estate development project in London. The claim value exceeded £33 million.
• Advising a shipping company in an LCIA arbitration stemming from an international shipping contract, with a disputed amount of EUR 2.2 million. Defence against an anti-suit injunction and relief from sanction application in the High Court.
• Representation of a High Net Worth Individual (HNWI) through a Litigation Friend in defending the enforcement of two Chinese judgments and Freezing Injunction, with judgment debts exceeding £20 million.
• Representation for a HNWI in defending the enforcement of SHIAC arbitration award, along with a Freezing Injunction and disclosure orders in the High Court. Defence against subsequent interim charging order.
• Advising an HNWI shareholder in an unfair prejudice petition and derivative claim, with a potential recovery value in the region of £2 million.
Bankruptcy and Insolvency:
• Representation of 21 project companies facing a winding up petition related to a £1.7 billion real estate development project.
• Representation for a commercial property landlord in response to a statutory demand, with a substantial claim value exceeding £1.2 million. Advice provided on without prejudice settlement negotiations.
• Representation of the borrower in a winding up petition arising out of a Chinese syndicated loan agreement and successfully reached a settlement.
• Advising a Chinese manufacturer in a debt recovery claim, involving the issuing of statutory demand and subsequent winding up proceedings.
Karen has engaged in multiple social activities including Young ICCA, and ICC YAF, she is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), and Asia Pacific Forum for International Arbitration. Karen is also a founding member of the University of Law London Alumni Network.